- October Tips & Events (more good advice from your MGSCC)
- UC Recognizes Outstanding Master Gardener Projects with 'Search for Excellence' Awards. The Master Gardeners of Santa Clara County won Second Place in this triennial statewide competition for their South County Teaching and Demonstration Garden.
- SCVWD Landscape Rebate Program extended through December 31, 2014. These are available for converting irrigated turf or functional swimming pools to low-water plantings, or for upgrading irrigation controllers.
- California approves fines for water-wasters. Information about Water Conservation in the Home Landscape. And useful links to conserve water.
- Learn about the best plants to use with the least amount of care and water in our climate. Visit our Plant Dictionary of 113 waterwise plants that grow well in our area. Photos and detailed info.
- The UC Davis Arboretum All-Stars searchable database & plant list (100+ selections) is another fabulous resource for specific waterwise plants that do well in our area.
- Dr. Bob Raabe's excellent list of plants that are and are not susceptible to Oak Root Fungus.
- Warm and Cool Season Vegetable Planting Guidelines that explain when to seed and when to plant various vegetables year round. There is a PDF version for printing too.
- Cookbooks: Crazy for Citrus and Chile Head Sampler are both available now!
- Read the latest "Ask a Master Gardener" column, originally published in the San Jose Mercury News.
- Save 10% on books ordered online with UC ANR when you use our promotion code PRCLA43. You can browse or search the catalog or go directly to the list of gardening books. A portion of online sales that use our promotion code benefits the Cooperative Extension of Santa Clara County and the Master Gardeners.
Becoming a Master Gardener
Interested in Becoming a Master Gardener in Santa Clara County?
You must have filled out the contact form by July 15, 2014 to be considered for the Class of 2015. After this date, if you want to be considered for the Class of 2017, then please return to this home page in January of 2016 for instructions on how to apply.
Master Gardener Program
The objectives of the Master Gardeners of Santa Clara County, a volunteer organization, are to support the educational activities of the University of California Cooperative Extension and to operate for scientific and educational purposes, promoting horticultural education and service to the community and provide continuing horticulture enrichment for members.
To develop, adapt and extend research-based horticultural information and educational programs to the residents of Santa Clara County.
- Have a research-based and educational component for all Master Gardener activities.
- Increase Master Gardener outreach to and participation by our multicultural community.
- Provide horticultural enrichments to all Master Gardener volunteers.
- Focus on high priority projects to optimize Master Gardener efforts